Planning world domination in your sweat pants, plus wisdom from #GIRLBOSS

Relaxing with #GIRLBOSS, some toast 'n' berries,
and an iced latte, of course.
Reading self-help books during my downtime often makes me feel more stressed out than inspired. Learning about the rewards of starting a business or running a marathon or generally dominating the world obviously makes me want to go out and actually do these things. Isn't that what these books are for? 

I find that I often start to feel anxious reading these books of infinite wisdom that will seemingly change your life. Should I be actively reading and taking diligent notes instead of sitting here under my Snuggie, staring at the page and twiddling my topknot? Maybe I should put the book down and go for a run, or start an Etsy shop, or meditate, or set up a lemonade stand... 

Relaxation-guilt has especially been high the past week. After a truly hectic semester that was rewarding in the end but utterly soul-crushing in the process, I vowed to take a solid week to do nothing as soon as I got home for summer break. I would postpone diving back into my summer job. I would stop thinking about all things school and career. I wouldn't even do any chores. (Okay, I made my bed every day and brought the trash cans inside, so I wasn't totally useless!)  

I found it hard to get out of that go-go-go mode I have been in for a solid four months (I did go to Starbucks yesterday with my laptop to get some tasks done when I was feeling productive - whoops), but it was still nice to catch my breath a bit after such a long hustle of a semester. 

My first order of business (after unpacking my giant houndstooth suitcase) was to hit up the library to get some reading material. #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso (founder and CEO of shopping website Nasty Gal) was at the top of my list. Prior to reading the book, I didn't know much about Amoruso; I had only read some of her articles in Marie Claire and heard her name thrown around in other stories about successful businesswomen in fashion. Maybe my millennial brain was drawn to the hashtag, or my feminist spirit was drawn to the title, but this book definitely looked promising to me. 

And I was not disappointed! Part memoir, part get-up-and-do-something manifesto, #GIRLBOSS consists of Amoruso's advice for career success interspersed with snippets about her own entrepreneurial story. I especially liked the "Portrait of a #GIRLBOSS" sections in between chapters. These sidebars featured other successful career women, including one of my favorites, Man Repeller founder Leandra Medine. 

I won't summarize the whole book, but here are some of my favorite tidbits:

"The last thing the world needs is another boring person or another boring brand, so embrace all the things that make you different. Alter your clothes all you want, but don't you dare alter your inner freak." (Chapter 7)

"I believe a #GIRLBOSS should have a sneer and a smile in her back pocket, ready to whip out either at any moment." (Chapter 10)

"You create the world, blink-by-blink. It is entirely yours to discover and create." (Chapter 11)

The book got me thinking a lot about career success, which was originally the last thing I wanted to be thinking about at the moment. But Amoruso's humor and relatable stories make it a really enjoyable read, and I definitely feel pretty pumped to get out there and make stuff happen, even if the most motivated thing I did today was make my bed. 


Comments

Popular Posts