A love letter to fashion magazines

There's a common idea that a lot of popular industries make their money off of women's insecurities, especially cosmetics and magazines (a.k.a., two things that bring me undeniable joy). Glossy advertisements proclaim that with this one product, all of your problems - namely, your pores - will disappear and you will look like a Victoria's Secret model and win at everything in life. Magazine covers sit perched on their grocery store stands, yelling that right here on page 62 is a workout that will transform your body forever because hey, those calories aren't going to burn themselves. 

I was an avid magazine consumer since before I even knew what cellulite or pores were. (Thanks Tiger Beat, for providing me with the latest teen celeb gossip during my middle school years. Oh, and all the Jonas Brothers posters.) 

During the school year I am more focused on studying textbooks than fashion magazines, so my leisurely reading takes a backseat. With summer approaching, it's finally time to sit down and catch up on all the glorious magazines that are delivered to my mailbox each month. 

But after months of further exploring women's issues, including media messages and standards of beauty (let's just say Everyday Feminism is one of my most visited sites), I worried about my interest in fashion magazines. How could I, an individual so invested in feminism and an avid believer that women are so much more than just their looks, possibly be a consumer of an industry that cashes in on unrealistic beauty standards and women's insecurities? 


My summer reading - my current stack of Marie Claire, 
Glamour, and Seventeen magazines
These questions swirled in my head when I recently sat down to read the February 2015 issue of Marie Claire(See, I told you I was way behind). However, I was delighted when I realized that feasting my eyes upon the photos and articles in the magazines did not make me feel insecure or inadequate, but rather, empowered and educated. This particular issue included a feature on Vian Dakhil, an Iraqi politican who works to free women and girls from the reins of terrorist group ISIS, and the story of Larissa Browning, an adventurous climber who survived an avalanche during an expedition in Nepal. 

This was in addition to the classics that are in every issue of the magazine, including "That's What She Said" (a rundown of quotes from some very smart and strong ladies), "Big Girl In A Skinny World" (a column focused on style tips for fabulously curvy women), and "What I Love About Me" (where women from a particular city share their favorite personal traits).


A birds-eye view of my (slightly alarming) magazine collection.
Hey, I might need them for research one day.
This was when I realized that many popular fashion magazines of today are not meant to make women feel bad. Nestled in these pages of luxurious perfume samples and glorious fashion spreads is a celebration of women and all that it means to be a woman, creating an almost sanctuary-like atmosphere for the reader. Many of these magazines even have clear feminist themes. (This particular issue of Marie Claire included discussion of the slut-shaming epidemic and the secrets of powerful businesswomen.) 

While these magazines have integral sections on fashion and beauty, there is no shame in that. They are not intended to make women feel bad about themselves. Rather, they allow readers to explore all facets of themselves for the purpose of empowerment and self-improvement. Within these pages, women can find ways to become even more inspired, all while celebrating their already smart and beautiful selves. 

Comments