Examining your style evolution: keeping what you like, ditching what you don't

I have always found that "Describe your style" does little as a conversation starter or a getting-to-know-you prompt. Most people usually answer this question by saying their style changes every day, as it does for all of us. Obviously your outfit when going to the gym is going to have a way different vibe than your ensemble for Easter mass. Plus, with trends constantly changing and our news feeds constantly refreshed, it's hard to pinpoint the exact words to describe one's longterm fashion choices. I think a better question is, "What are you liking right now?"

My style has certainly changed over the years. Despite the many comments I get about looking younger than my age (yes, I am in college - although I could probably pass for a 16-year-old. Maybe this will be a source of joy in a few years!), I like to think that I dress a bit differently than I did when I was first feeling out my style in my late childhood and early teens. 

It's easy to cling to your interests of the past. I recently schlepped a heaping pile of clothing to Plato's Closet not because it didn't fit, or because there was something wrong with it; rather, my style has simply changed. 

(I'm also on a huge minimalist kick right now, and I'm trying to get rid of everything I haven't used in the past year and probably won't use anytime soon. I figure if I clean in such a way that involves getting rid of old stuff at a faster rate than I acquire new stuff, then soon I'll have so few belongings I can be a certified nomad. Just kidding... but I do want to move to a point where I just have less stuff. Getting rid of clutter is good for the soul, and I think it's refreshing to tackle the hoarding problems that I think so many Americans have.)

Anyway, as I'm saying goodbye to my Hollister tees and colorful Converse sneakers (okay, I kept some of those...) and opening my closet to more contemporary items, I've been thinking a lot about how my style has changed over the years. I can identify three main eras of Libby fashion, which I re-created with trusty Polyvore collages to reflect on how my style has evolved. 



With Adam Lambert ruling American Idol and Lady Gaga in her glorious "Fame Monster" phase, I obsessed over edgy-glam elements in my early teens. I wasn't a full-on biker, but as I headed into high school I loved adorning my wrists with pyramid stud bracelets and painting my digits with matte black. I also succumbed to a lot of classic junior high trends, like ballet flats (a staple with school uniforms) and tees from all the hip mall stores. In terms of beauty, I was just discovering eyeliner and unfortunately taking my blonde highlights a little too far.




Although bling was still a firm part of my style for many years, it took a more girly turn toward the end of high school that lasted into the start of college. This is when I discovered the prepster joy of headbands and the flattering and feminine miracle that is a printed skater skirt. In this era which often still shows up in my outfit choices today, bright pink was a staple and you could never go wrong with a floral. "Natural" was not a word in my beauty vocabulary as I reveled in the fun of a bright pink lipstick and liquid glitter eyeliner on special occasions (hello, prom!)




My affinity for pop music and Starbucks addiction would probably have me shunned from hipster circles, but my current style has embraced indie and boho elements to create a more muted look. Comfy cotton shorts are my go-to for class, and my trusty denim jacket is finally getting worn in. Maroon, army green, cream, and black (as always) are the colors I have my eye on now. The blocky studded bracelets that dotted my wrists for years are gone as a simple Alex and Ani took their place. As I get older, I also enjoy trying out new trends and daring myself to get out of my comfort zone. The ears are my favorite place to experiment now, with fun peekaboo earrings and the diamond stud of my new second piercing. I recently bought my first crop top (a plain peach one from Urban Outfitters) and am keeping my eyes out for a simple and classy bralette, perfect for summer and fall layering. 

Forgiving yourself for fashion crimes and terminating outdated pieces from your closet are keys to a happy and healthy wardrobe. But examining your past style choices doesn't always have to be cringe-worthy. Every shirt you bought and all the jeans you tried on helped shape your style today. The best thing about fashion is that you can move with the changing trends and add what you like while also holding on to the elements that make you you. 

Comments

Post a Comment