According to Leslie: My sister shows you how to be a fashionista teacher

In a fun and fabulous twist, today I have a guest blog post from my older sister! She has her own blog chronicling married life and her growing baby girl (Aunt Libby, what's up), and I would definitely recommend checking out her hilarious posts. This recent post about fishing a $20 bill out of the gutter had me dying. Leslie is educating future generations as a teacher, a job that requires pretty much nonstop movement. Naturally, as someone who pores over my closet every night trying to craft the perfect ensemble for the next day, I was curious about the thought process that goes in to dressing for such a demanding job. Here, Leslie shows you some of her key closet staples for looking sharp, which could even work for other jobs too. Attention! 


Ahhh, teacher fashion. Miss Frizzle dresses and holiday sweaters, right? NO! While I do not claim to be an expert, I've been at this gig for 7 years, and even as a youngster I would love to look at "teacher" clothes and plan how I could be a fashionable teacher. Whether or not you teach, these tips could work for most careers that are "business casual." That's the beauty of a teacher wardrobe, it could easily be dressed up or down. And there are no Miss Frizzle looks in sight. Okkk class, let's get started! Here's the basics. 


-Black Pants: I sing the praise of black pants! A few years ago I wore dressier black pants, but I have ventured into the more casual territory of black skinny jeans. These will work all year long and can be paired with boots or flats. 

-Colored Skinny Jeans: In the olden days (2010), I relied on my trusty khakis or corduroy pants, but times change, and I love a splash of color. I have pink, violet, forest green, and maroon pants. These are fun with flats in the warmer months. I had a class that would beg for me to wear my "Barbie pants" (pink ones). I am not shy about color, but if this is not your scene, stick with the trusty black pants or try a safer, dark color like maroon or brown. 




-Cardigans: Miley was so right, cardigans can take you "off the plane at LAX" straight to the classroom. I would say a basic gray, black, or white one is a necessity, but feel free to add some splashes of color here too. I also enjoy longer styles. A few years ago my mother-in-law bought me a nice ivory cashmere cardi and it's been a staple go-to to "modest-ify" a spring dress or add a touch of elegance to a normal look. Pair with pearls and you're ready for parent-teacher conferences. 





-Flats! Oh flats, you are my saving grace. You can get fun ones, basic ones, and even Toms work well for a more dressed down look. You are on your feet A LOT as a teacher (of any grade). Add in taking your crew to recess, computer, library, and you've gotten in a workout. Comfy is key. I've really enjoyed the Lucky brand flats. I have been known to slip some flip flops in my tote for after work if I venture into a more uncomfortable pair (usually ones that are too small but they were on clearance so I force my toes to pay the price). 


-Big Bag: Teaching is a bit like being a flight attendant: You attend to the needs of others with (often) a forced smile and sweet voice. Also, luggage. There's just a lot of STUFF involved with teaching. You'll probably bring a lunch, a water bottle, papers to grade, stuff for lessons, and more. (Just this week, I had a pack of gummy worms, a bottle of vinegar, and a spool of curling ribbon for a science project in my bag). I have used a few totes over the years, but my fave two are my ampersand Mary & Martha bag and my Thirty One personalized one. Don't ruin a classy look with a shabby bag (words to live by, really). 






-Long necklaces: Throw one of these on over a dressy tee, a cardi, black skinnies, and flats and voila! You are one put together gal! Target and Charming Charlie are my go-to for fun cheap pieces. They may turn your skin green after a few wears (raises hand), but they are a fun accessory. Bonus: the girls in your class will notice and compliment you on these. Too cute. 






-Skirts: I admit I do love a good maxi skirt if the fit is right (I'm from Utah, sue me). Midi skirts that hit around the knee are great options too. Don't write these off in the winter months: pair with boots or leggings and they still work! The best part of these is the comfort. 


Teacher fashion is fun and versatile, just like teaching itself. In the classroom, you should always be put together, comfortable, free to express yourself, and ready to try something new.... and it's alright if you end the day with a pencil or two in your hair. 

Comments

Popular Posts