On this episode of Libby Gives Advice... relationship tips!

If you're talking to me, the acronym "LDR" can either be referring to Lana Del Rey, or long distance relationship. While both of these things are pretty prominent parts of my life, I have to say the latter has a bit more weight. (Sorry, Lana.)

I don't really know what it's like to not be in a relationship, since my current and only union dates back to age 14, back when I wore my hair crimpy to school and I lived and breathed the Jonas Brothers (well, that part is still a little true...) I don't know what it's like to date around or flirt with potential suitors, and I prefer it that way. I'd rather have one fantastic person to call my own. 

Prom dot com
And me and that one fantastic person are - yup - long distance. According to the former Center for the Study of Long Distance Relationships (yes, that was actually a thing at one point), studies show that an estimated 4.4 million college students are in relationships where their significant other is a bit more than a hop, skip, and a jump away. Even if that number has changed over the years, that's still a helluva lot of LDRs. 

I get that my dating situation is unique, and longterm monogamy (especially across state lines) isn't for everyone. But giving unsolicited advice is my specialty, and I do believe I've picked up some good relationship tips over the years, whether or not your flame lives ten minutes or ten hours away. 

1. Find ways to be together - even when you can't.

Calls, texts, Skype... we all know the classic ways of staying in touch. But get creative with your activities. Joseph (that handsome fella in the pics who I get to call my bae - I know, you're cringing right now) and I love to take quizzes together online. (Buzzfeed and Blogthings have some good ones.) We talk on the phone and do the same quiz, talking through our answers as we find out which flavor cheesecake we're most like. (Yeah, that was an actual quiz we did today - he's strawberry and I'm peanut butter chocolate, in case you're wondering.) It sounds silly, but it's a blast and you can really learn a lot about your partner. 

If you're not into the whole quiz life (and why aren't you?), you can also watch a show or movie on Netflix together at the same time, or play an online game. The cyber possibilities are endless. 

Eating in your S.O.'s dining hall really
makes you closer as a couple... those
breakfast potatoes would make anyone
happy, though.
2. If possible, visit each other's locations at least once.

Plane tickets are definitely too expensive to spend every other weekend jetting back and forth to see your better half, and you can definitely find ways to entertain yourselves in between holiday breaks. (See tip #1.) But a visit at some point is important so you can know each other's lives. Joe recently came to my school (joining my family on our annual college move-in road trip), marking his first visit here ever. 

After showing him around, introducing him to all my college friends, and giving him a glimpse into my college life, I feel a lot more comfortable with our distance, knowing that he has a sense of what my life is like during the eight months we don't see each other. I also loved going to his school during my visits home last year. When you're talking on the phone and your babe tells you they're walking to the Lawrence H. Stinnerson Building of Sociological Studies (made-up name by the way), it's nice to be able to picture it. 

3. Be your own person, but remember where your loyalties lie.

"Great tips Libby! I'm so glad
you're my girlfriend!"
The bottom line: If you're the type of person who thinks of a relationship as giving up your freedom, and you cringe at the thought of being "tied down," especially in the hookup culture of college, then you're probably not ready for a relationship. (Or your past relationships were way too restrictive.) If you are in a relationship (whether a close-proximity one or an LDR), you do you, doll. Find interesting hobbies, make friends, sign up for clubs, change up your style. Being in a relationship should never limit your growth. 

That being said, you can't live like a single person if you're not. (But singledom does not necessarily equate freedom, and coupledom is not equivalent to a death sentence - by a long shot.) Discuss boundaries with your partner, and if anything would make them uncomfortable. Trust and honesty are key, and something that should always be worked on and considered. But I can promise that if you are really into your S.O., you won't want it any other way. 


Dedicating this post to Joseph Moyle for being the
cutest little "coco pelly" and best friend around.

Comments