Am I a walking contradiction?

Spoiler: Nope. The other night, as I poured over an Ulta catalog, I feasted my eyes upon the eye shadow palettes, inhaled the luxe cologne and perfume samples that regularly accompany the catalog (to my delight), and planned which nail polishes to get my hands on the next time I hit up the store, basking in the glory of my love for cosmetics, these colorful little potions that represent a world of creativity and experimentation. 

While this was going on, I was simultaneously indulging in my daily dose of feminist media, listening to an informative video about the ways patriarchy damages men's emotional literacy, and I laughed when I acknowledged this apparent oxymoron. I've written before about the apparent contradiction between being a feminist who believes in both equality and empowerment, and the consumption of traditionally feminine indulgences like makeup and fashion magazines. 

But I'm here to reiterate: it isn't a contradiction. Being a consumer of the beauty industry doesn't make me a bad feminist. Striving to educate myself on pervasive social issues and applying cute decals to my nails? Now that's well-rounded. 

Comments