"Do I look like a slut?": The practice of patrolling girls' clothing

Some of the most common descriptions of fashion would probably include something about expression of one's self, a celebration of personal style, and a way to experiment with trends. But unfortunately, sometimes expression of style has a lot of other implications as well... or some believe so, at least. After all, how many times have you seen a girl wearing a top that's cut just a little low or a skirt just a little short and you instantly think "slut"? The tendency to make a judgment on someone's character or behavior based on what they're wearing is an unfortunate cultural practice. We can blame the media, our peers, or some other outside factor for having this sort of influence on us, or we can take responsibility and try to stop it. (Next time you catch yourself scoffing at a girl's tight skirt or revealing top? Recognize the tornado of judgment descending upon your brain, push it away, and repeat as necessary.)

But I'm not here to write about how we can end labeling once and for all (although that should be a common goal for all of us, too). I'm here to write about the perceived implications of clothing that go far beyond simple freedom of expression. Is a cute outfit really just a cute outfit? (Spoiler alert: The answer is yes.)

There have been mounds and mounds of debate about the morality of school dress codes (since girls' shoulders are obviously so provocative and wrong they must be hidden from sight - have some decency, for goodness sake!) But that's another issue entirely. I'm here to talk about a recent incident I encountered that sparked my thoughts on how girls' clothing is patrolled so closely and the point of these watchdog attitudes. (Another spoiler: There is no point.)

On a recent morning, I began my usual stroll to my 9:00 a.m. class. As I was walking through the "mall," the busy main sidewalk of student traffic, I was approached by an adult male stranger. He asked where I was going, and I tried to adopt a polite "sorry, I have somewhere to be" demeanor since I was on my way to class. I was about to tell him to have a nice day when he began to follow me, asking, "Are those stockings? Are you wearing stockings?" Realizing the turn this situation was taking, I ignored him and continued on. As I finally reached the building, I could hear him continuing his tirade, when suddenly I heard him yell the following proclamation: "They shouldn't allow those!"

Unfortunately, the majority of women are used to street harassment - men leering and hollering out absurdly crude comments about our bodies (as if I need the approval of a random middle-aged man on the street. If you are a female who honestly feels flattered by whoops and catcalls, please reevaluate your sources of self-esteem.) But this gentleman took a different approach to harassment I had never seen before: shaming.

The outfit that started an uproar - well, some really annoying yelling. In my book, a cardigan and
tights says "preppy" and "modest," not "harlot." Some would (apparently) beg to differ.


This morning, when I put on my trusty black skirt, my floral tights (the "stockings" which apparently were indecent and should not be viewed by human eyes), a plain t-shirt, and a cardigan, the opinions of random strangers were not even a factor in my fashion choices, nor will they ever be. "Irrelevant" is an understatement for how I would describe this random man's opinion, and I am a firm believer that everyone should dress for themselves. Wear what makes you feel good - you do you, boo. 

But even more shocking and ridiculous than the fact that someone thought my modest, conservative outfit was so scandalous it should be outlawed by my university, was the fact that this individual felt the need to not only follow me to tell me this, but that he had to stand in the middle of the sidewalk yelling it out for all to hear like the town crier. (Even if I had been wearing a more revealing outfit, I still don't think that warrants being harassed and followed. But that's for another time.)

If you are a female and you have never experienced any form of harassment or judgment for what you're wearing, I hope you never do. But there is a large chance that you will. I hope one day that all human beings can safely and peacefully walk down the street without being harassed, and that girls can wear what they wish free of uppity judgment and verbal attack. This will only become reality when we quit shaming girls and allow them to go about their days without being followed, pestered, and publicly humiliated.

As for the girls? Don't be deceived into thinking anything you're doing is wrong. Ever notice how there's really no "right" way for girls to dress? Skirts are too short and reveal too much leg, while pants are too form-fitting and suggestive. In a slut-shaming society, there really is no way to win against the outfit-patrollers like the gentleman I encountered that morning. (Those people really give a new meaning to the term "fashion police.") So don't try. Because by wearing what you want and disregarding the opinions of these unhappy and judgmental individuals, you've already won.

So I will continue to wear what I want, including... no, especially stockings.

Comments