Finding the middle ground between "full-on glam" and "total scrub"

Over the course of my life, I have come to terms with the fact that I have two distinct looks. On one hand, after an hour or so of preparation, I can reach my fashion and beauty maximum by emerging with a complete face of makeup, brushed hair (maybe even flat ironed if I'm really going for it), and some sort of carefully concocted outfit (complete with matching accessories, obvi). On the other end of the spectrum is a girl who looks like she hasn't seen a shower in three days and who lives in sweat pants. (I'm not even going to say "yoga pants" because those two words convey a much cuter, more athletic image than the gross reality of baggy and possibly stained "sweat pants").

I have lived my entire life never mixing these two looks. I would never emerge from my house in my faded Hollister hoodie from eighth grade or without at least a swipe of eyeliner or lip gloss. Likewise, I would never take the time to put on a full face of makeup or put on a skirt and blouse if the day only called for staying home (translate: watching TV and scrolling through Pinterest without leaving the couch). I am a firm believer that even jeans don't have a place in the home. As soon as I walk through the door, there's a solid chance I'm already running to my drawer to grab some trusty sweatpants to change into. 

My style (at least in terms of effort) has typically ranged from a Kardashian on the red carpet to a sweatpants-clad sea urchin in full scrub mode, with no in-between. However, lately I've been struck by an idea. Why not start mixing these two looks? 

Invest in some comfortable yet stylish pieces, like trendy leggings, a bright
tank, and a basic cardigan. Way chicer than a baggy hoodie and sweatpants.
It started on Christmas Eve, when I got home from church and immediately changed out of my houndstooth bodycon dress and into black sweat pants and a One Direction t-shirt. Whether out of laziness or a desire to be perpetually glam, I left my makeup on as I dashed downstairs to eat dinner with my family. (Actually, it probably was just a result of laziness... and hunger. Who wants to spend fifteen minutes scrubbing the chemicals off their face when a Jimmy John's sub is just a few steps away, waiting to be eaten? Not this girl.) I realized later that evening that even though I was donning one of my full scrub outfits, I still had my red lipstick and black eyeliner on. Rather than feeling like the makeup was out of place, it felt almost glamorous to be wearing such dramatic makeup even though no one was really seeing it. 

The mix between "chic" and "casual" has been taking over the fashion scene as well, with tons of brands and designers reconciling high-fashion with low-maintenance. Designer Stella McCartney and model Cara Delevingne have successfully teamed up with Adidas and DKNY (respectively) to create lines of chic workout-inspired apparel that can go from the gym to the workplace. (Well, I wouldn't recommend wearing sweatpants or spandex shorts to the office, but you get what I mean.) 

The point is, a middle ground between dressed up and dressed down exists. And it's pretty stylish there. A fashion feat I've always struggled with is how to dress when you're having guests over. You aren't going out, so there's no need to go into full glam mode (wearing stiff skinny jeans in my own home just feels wrong), but you will be seeing actual humans so you want to look sufficiently fab (so, ditch the sweatpants). I've recently discovered the power of the legging, and it has become my go-to "stylishly casual" outfit. Bold leggings + bright tank + cozy cardigan = perfect outfit to convey that "I want to be comfortable but also have some level of self-respect" message. 

And even if no human beings will be seeing you, or you won't be stepping outside of the house for a whole day (no judgment), sometimes putting in just a little bit of extra (and yes, unnecessary) effort can make you feel fabulous. (After all, don't you want a little ego boost when you catch a peek in the bathroom mirror?) So swipe on some red lipstick or luxe perfume, even if you're just laying in bed. And don't be afraid to rock something with an elastic waistband in public. Real glamour isn't what you wear - it's how you wear it. 

Comments