Sunday salutations: A hyper maniac's guide to yoga and mindfulness

Me trying to be a model at the botanical gardens today.
I'm a recent fan of cacti and succulents, as we all are, obvi.
I am probably the least "zen" person you will ever meet. I like to think I'm pretty chill emotionally and in terms of being low-maintenance, but in reality, it's super hard for me to relax. But I know my near constant state of physiological arousal (caused by a generally anxious disposition and an easy habit of falling into spirals of neuroticism) probably isn't good for my long-term health. Enter my attempts to get more in touch with my inner yogi. 

I attended a few "Midweek Mindfulness" yoga classes on campus last year, and I truly enjoyed them. Despite leaving every session with a smile and a clear head, it definitely was hard for me to channel Buddha after living life as a person running from activity to activity in this modern world where caffeine-chugging is a sport, and where we can overwhelm our senses with thousands of images at the tap of a finger. I specifically remember the instructor reminding the class to calm our eyes, which I still believe was a response to my eyes darting all around the room like hyperactive 3-year-olds who were just given Pixie Sticks while everyone else's lids were closed in peace.

But in the last few months, I've gotten a lot more into yoga. YouTube tutorials are my best friends for when I'm feeling like moving my body but don't want to hit the gym again for more heart-racing and shin-splinting cardio. I even just signed up for a monthly membership at the gym so I can hit up some yoga classes on study breaks. I'm making some real positive life changes, guys! I've even started taking a more active role in eyebrow maintenance. Who knows what's next?

My own little zen garden! If you can't make your desk feel
like a psychologist's office, what are you even doing? 
Anyway, I want to share some of my favorite go-to yoga videos. My favorite YouTube account for some downward-doggin' is definitely Yoga With Adriene. She's funny, upbeat, and totally chill. The mantra: "Find what feels good." (That means if you'd rather lay on the floor instead of trying to contour your body into a pretzel, that's totally cool - which is probably good. I may or may not have attempted to put my feet behind my head during a yoga class on Friday morning, and I woke up yesterday with hella back pain. Know your limits, folks.) 

Adriene has a lot of longer videos if you have extra time in the morning or a chunk during the dreaded afternoon slump when work sounds like the last thing you want to do. I did the "Dorm Room Yoga" video last week and loved it. The moves were perfect for my natural habitat, and the mental meditation was a great homework break and de-stressor - super important for us college students. 



If you're running low on time, Adriene also has some shorter videos that are great for a quick burst of stretching and inspiration. "Yoga For Focus & Productivity" and "Yoga To Get the Juices Flowing" are perfect for when you want to get moving in the morning or give your brain a mid-day mental break. Both are less than 10 minutes! 






Adriene has a bunch of other great videos, including yoga for different moods, physical needs, and time limitations. There really is yoga for everything, and this channel has new videos every week. The power to choose exactly what you need is really empowering, and it's addicting to scroll through all of the possibilities. Plus, Adriene's patient attitude and sense of humor really make you feel like you're working out with a friend. 

Another yoga Youtuber I like is Tara Stiles, my introduction into the world of online yoga tutorials. I did a lot of her videos over Christmas break when I'd be sitting in my house, trying to fend off soreness after a hard run in the cold outdoors. "Flexibility and Range of Motion" is a good video for some basic stretching in less than 10 minutes. "Build Strength Evenly" and "Core Strength" are perfect if you're looking for more of a workout. 







Keep in mind these videos are a bit more fast-paced, and they definitely made me work up more of a sweat.


Yoga sounds really intimidating, and I am literally the last person who you think would enjoy such an activity. As a runner (runners always have to get in the fact that they run - so annoying, right?), my flexibility is pretty much zero. In addition to my racing mind and inability to relax and be one with the earth, I just ain't bendy. But the challenges of  yoga are definitely worth the feeling of going about the day with a clear head and limber body. Try to mess with me after I've watched a yoga tutorial. I dare you. (I actually may still get annoyed because I just can't silence my sass, but I'll feel super flexible and put-together, so my heightened morale may keep me from snapping at you.)

Bottom line: Even the most anxious person can get in touch with their meditative side. So grab a yoga mat, join a class, fire up the ol' Youtube, stretch it out, or do whatever it takes to refresh your day and reset your body. 

Namaste!

Comments