What's on repeat: Embrace your inner cry baby with "Pity Party"

When your favorite type of music is "angsty alternative pop by fab females in their twenties" (as mine is), it's always nice to add a new artist into the mix. 

Hence my excitement at stumbling upon Melanie Martinez. I totally understand how annoying it is to compare artists to other artists, but I also think it's an important part of getting a sense of what someone's music is like. To me, Martinez's voice evokes the whole "innocent yet mature" vibe of Lana Del Rey mixed with the savvy pop princess themes of Marina and the Diamonds, and the dark femininity that underscores the music of both Lana and Marina. 

In addition to all these wonderful themes that I love so much, I'm also a sucker for artists that follow a theme, even if for only an album (i.e., Katy Perry's whole candy thing during the days of "Teenage Dream" and "California Gurls," Lady Gaga's eccentric but intriguing monster era). The Melanie Martinez music videos I've seen so far all evoke an explicitly whimsical, childlike vibe, enforced by mammoth bows atop her brunette hair and colorful Crayola-esque makeup. (With songs like "Carousel" and "Dollhouse," what do you expect? Her album, due out in early August, is also titled "Cry Baby.") 



Anyway, the song/video that really entranced me is "Pity Party," which was posted on Youtube on June 1 of this year. Why I'm only discovering this song now is beyond me. I've never been super into music videos, unless they're really good. But this one not only accessorizes the beat-heavy pop song, but enhances it, telling a story that is undeniably sad

And that's what makes it so amazing (in addition to the prettiness of the music's vintage and pastel everything). It's the kind of song that gets even sadder the more you listen to it, its raw emotion initially masked by a dance beat and sing-songy melody. (Think Tove Lo's "Habits" or Ryn Weaver's "OctaHate".)

The cameras focus on Martinez as she throws a toddler-style tantrum (albeit more glam) when no one (particularly a possible love interest) shows up to her birthday party. The cake-smashing, teddy bear-ripping, and screaming (yes, literal screams) will make you sing along at the top of your lungs - or at least lip sync so hard you feel like you're getting a substantial facial workout. One thing's for sure - the addictiveness of the song is sending it fast up my "Top 25 Most Played."

So there's the gorgeous aesthetic and the upbeat catchiness of the song. Don't even get me started on the genius idea of playing on the theme of stinging rejection, disappointment, and loneliness - all very adult fears that this music video cleverly disguises as the frivolous concerns of a child. 

A danceable pop video that tugs at your heartstrings, all in a gorgeous setting with amazing fashion? Definitely my kind of music, and probably yours after watching this video. 

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to."

Comments